Monday, August 3, 2009

Chandamama - My friend forever

Maiya main to chand khilona lehon (Mother I only want the toy named moon)

Now, let me remember when it was that I first heard this rhyme. Hmmm… I must have been 5 or 6 years old. One day I asked my father what was that big white dot in the sky (Moon), which travels with us. With a cheerful smile he answered, “it’s your bedtime friend ‘Chandamama’ beta,” and delivered the lines. He also explained that it was Lord Krishna, who first recited them.
While writing this piece I was struck afresh by the large cultural space that Moon- the celestial body- occupies. ‘Chandamama’ as all of us call the Moon, is a part and parcel of everybody’s childhood. A small child is always happy to be in his company while travelling. All bedtime stories are incomplete without him.

Moon has always been the centre of attraction of my childhood memories. My mother used to warn me that Moon will disappear if I were to leave my homework incomplete, and on No Moon days I used to be very upset and depressed that my best friend had forgotten me for some unknown reason.

I think one can never forget the famous lesson in our English books `Rabbit on the Moon`. I read in my history book that in 1835, the ‘Great Moon Hoax’ fooled some people into thinking that there were exotic animals living on the Moon. Since ages the contrasts between the brighter and darker areas have created a pattern seen by different cultures as some human like creature on the Moon, while others believed it to be rabbit and the buffalo.

In every person’s life, youth is a period of freshness, with wonderful dreams and passions for life. Love is one such relationship that forms an essential element of this phase and what better than the enchanting moon to portray it?

Be it the lovers’ paradise or a parameter for beauty, Moon has been seen in all these roles. The metaphor of the darkened moon, or the incomplete moon, has been used to express one’s sadness. In the words of Parveen Shakir- “Pura dukh aur adha chand, Hijr ki shab aur aisa chand”. Full pain, and half a moon, Night of separation and such a moon.

Moon depicts romanticism in the best possible way and magnifies the beauty of love. Bashir Badra says- “Wo ghazal walon ka usloob samjhte honge Chand kehten hain kise khoob samjhte honge” She understands the principles of ghazal writers, Who is called moon, she must know.

The Moon has also been the subject of many works of art and literature and the inspiration for countless others. It is a motif in the visual arts, the performing arts, poetry, prose and music. It has taken several roles in the lyrics of some very famous songs such as "Blue Moon", "No Moon at All", "Moonlight Serenade" and "Moonlight in Vermont ". The Moon is also viewed as an unobtainable object in songs such as "Reaching for the Moon", "I Wished on the Moon" and "Oh, You Crazy Moon", once again mirroring the situation of the protagonist. Michael Jackson`s ‘moonwalk’ is yet another example of using the ‘moon’ word.

A glance at the most romantic Bollywood flicks shows its abundant use for creating all manner of scenes. Who can ever forget the famous description of Dimple Kapadia given by Rishi Kapoor in the evergreen hit `Sagar`.

“Chehra hai ya chand khila hai, zulf ghanehri shaam hai kya Saagar jaisi aankhon wali, ye to bata tera naam hai kya…….”

Moon effectively plays a significant role in some of India`s most prominent festivals like Karwa Chauth, Holi, Diwali and Eid, which are mainly observed on Full Moon, No Moon or First Moon days. It is also a prominent feature of astrological studies and in making horoscopes. Another unique astronomical phenomenon which involves Moon is eclipses.

Being the nearest celestial body, it continues to be a source of great interest to scientists. In 1949, history was created when Apollo-I spacecraft landed on the moon and Neil Armstrong and Edvin Aldrin took their first steps on its surface. Recently India also tried its hand by initiating Chandrayaan-I mission to study the features of the moon surface.

The moon has always been a source of mystery to the human race. It has been associated with mythology, beauty and darkness. There goes a very famous saying that, “Every one is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody”. Yes, Moon also has its presence in several horror flicks, which does make you bite your nails. Often it is associated with the dark world where witches love to perform all their witch crafts, blood-thirsty vampires sacrifice humans and beasts or Werewolves come into full power on the full moon day.

Even the Ramsay brothers of Bollywood applied all their blood churning dramatic horror formulae on either Full Moon or No Moon days. But since that side is always turned away from us, let us focus on the bright side we see. In the end, let me express my feelings, a once in a blue moon phenomenon, through this song.

Blue Moon in the The Marcels - by Lorenz Hart Blue Moon, you saw me standing alone Without a dream in my heart Without a love of my own Blue Moon, you knew just what I was there for You heard me saying a prayer for Someone I really could care for And then there suddenly appeared before me The only one my arms will ever hold I heard somebody whisper, "Please adore me" And when I looked, the moon had turned to gold Blue Moon, now I'm no longer alone Without a dream in my heart Without a love of my own Blue Moon

No comments:

Post a Comment