Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Why I hate going to temples?

It would sound as a cliché and anti-god saga to many but is true and follows my own logic and reasoning. My idea of hating visiting religious places might sound absurd to many, however stands bygone to me unfortunately.

I have nothing against God or against its people and followers but only to think of the several trips once inside the premises make me sick and wretched.

“Have a dupatta on your head for God sake, take of your sandals, wear decent clothes, don’t go inside if you are down (periods),” are the common statements heard and anyways I have nothing against any religion.

When we visit somebody’s house, we still follow some norms and these come to me plain and simple. But what follows next inside is ridiculous and disgusting.

Being a Hindu I have often visited temples, but that doesn’t mean that I have not been to other religions ‘House of God’.

The performa is almost same everywhere. Being a girl you are not allowed to even visit certain chambers (when God did no differentiation while creating me, why should any human being must?)

Then if you are on your periods you are an outcast. Mind me, these religious bodyguards must go and visit VaishnoDevi toilets for Godsake, you will be stuck in your shoes with the number of sanitary pads found in dustbin on any average day.

Then the audacities of offerings really sicken me. How can one justify offering milk, sweets, flowers and money to the stones in temples; the same is almost everywhere else.

What shocks me is the attitude of Pandits and other religious sacrosancts. Trust me I know some pandits who preach but are non-veg by food habits and involve in alcoholism during the feasty nights. Not to mention the money they take for wedding and other religious processions. No wonder we get buried in homeloans to build our houses but these pandits already own some lands and are prospering like anything.

Curse our jobs and minimum salaries! I am not targeting here any particular religion, community or caste. I have prayed like many others, kept fasts and done several offerings in past but what irks me is the religious business some priests run nowadays.

Many would agree with me that the House of worship have turned into commercialized centres beaming with idol shops and chadar offerings.

When in a temple you can’t even touch god, segregated due to VIP guidelines and are often misguided by the religious thakedaars- one must certainly ask a question? Why should we bend to the rules made by some profit making people who call themselves the patent holders of GOD (as said in OMG movie)?


I pray to God and try to connect with the supreme daily but not on somebody else’s condition but mine…

No comments:

Post a Comment