Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Why in the picturesque Los Angeles, I miss my land?

The beautiful city of California, Los Angeles, has everything that can make you forget the world. It has all the elements of an A-class city and picturesque landscapes which brings all the Hollywood memories to life.

Not to mention the pleasant wind, soaking sunshine, warm beaches and several happy faces which make me wonder about the concept of heaven and earth.

Here I should also not fail to point out the many facilities one avail in the hearty land of US. You talk about bus connectivity or helping people; education and medical benefits or less corruption; brimming Universal Studios and city walk or Hollywood stars luxury apartments; the life in the always alive LA is not only spectacular but perfect.

Yet it is home calling for me after all home is where your heart is and my heart belongs to India. The Incredible India where I was born and lived 30 years of my life. LA is amazing yet it will never be able to surpass the nitty-gritty aspects of India. The peaceful Hollywood city undermines the chaotic concept of India yet fails on marginal lines for someone, who loves to shop from flea markets instead of blindly following mall culture, who prefers roadside ‘chaishops’ over Starbucks and Café Coffee Days.

LA has a life but India has a way of life. We Indians are still in the process of exploring desi food vs junk food, work pressure or family pressure, flea bargaining vs mall shopping. Anyways the idea here is that we are still somewhere in between proportionating the concepts which are good or bad for our family and in turn society. We want to be free yet are bounded by cultures and traditions giving a new perspective to the idea of life. We are not blindly following society but believe in reasoning and apply logic. The new generation of India is definitely positive towards its outlook and approach towards leaders, rituals, common practices and that is what I miss the most in Los Angeles.

It looks like that time has stopped here; people are courteous but are far away from discussions. They will give you a helping hand and smile but beyond that would never involve in interactions as if they are scared to know you in person. The Indian community here is trying to keep the ideals alive but I somehow doubt that when I see their next generation talking in heavy audible accents priding themselves as Huh…We..Americans.

Earning dollars is certainly an interesting pattern for most Indians turned NRIs and even I would not mind earning some in a foreign land but if somebody asks me what next or where would you see yourself after 5 years- my answer would be not in the picturesque land of Los Angeles, but in My India.

Wo jo har duniya ka dum bharte hain, Kehte hai chalo ab ghar chalet hain…… (The one, who speaks about conquering so many worlds, finally realizes the wish to go home….)


Miss You Home!

No comments:

Post a Comment